2018 Army Digital Photography Contest
Guide for Participants Contest open for submissions November 12, 2018 through January 20, 2019
Authorized MWR patrons (see Army regulation, AR 215-1, chapter 7) are eligible to enter, with the exception of employees of the Army Arts & Crafts program, their family members and other individuals engaged in the development and implementation or direct execution of this promotion, including Army senior leadership and the marketing staff, may not participate in this promotion.
TWO (2) DIVISIONS:
1. Military: Active Duty Military members
2. Other Eligible Participants: Family Members, Retirees, Civilians, Contractors, etc. (per AR 215-1)
SEVEN (7) CATEGORIES (within each Division) Animals: Pets, birds, reptiles, amphibians, zoo animals, farm/domesticated animals, insects, etc.
2. Design Elements: Photos that emphasize line, shape, pattern, form, texture, perspective – can be any subject matter. Note: this is not a category for graphic illustrations made in a program like Adobe Illustrator, nor would extreme digital creations belong in this category. This is for line, shape, pattern, etc.
3. Digital Darkroom: Photos created/altered with computer software which demonstrate art, creativity, impact, with digital alteration the main focus of image (include the digital techniques used to create the picture on each entry)
4. Military Life: Photos that portray military life
5. Nature & Landscapes: Landscapes, outdoor scenes, nature images, sunsets, urban landscapes, seascapes, cityscapes, farms, floral, etc.
6. People: Photos where a person is the main focus. It may require model release (see “Model/Property Release” information)
7. Still Life: Arranged photos of diverse inanimate objects: food, plants, artifacts, etc.
NOTE: All categories include monochrome and color photographs
HOW TO ENTER:
- Participants must complete the online profile and submit photos between 12 a.m. Central Time (CST) November 12, 2018 and 11:59 p.m. CST January 20, 2019 at contest website: https://cloud.mwr.army.mil/apptrac.
- Contact your local Garrison POC for garrison specific instructions and additional information.
GENERAL ENTRY GUIDELINES:
- Participants may enter three photos per category at the Garrison level.
- Photos should be high resolution jpg files between 600KB and 2MB (maximum size allowed) and high resolution suitable for printing at 300 dpi.
- Photos with a date stamp or photographer’s name on the photo will be disqualified.
- Photos taken for official duty, illustrations, training aids, or similar assignments are not eligible.
Explanatory text about the photo on the entry form should be brief and concise.
All submissions must be the original work of the entrant, completed within 12 months from the start of the current contest year; photos entered in previously contest years may not be resubmitted.
All photos must have a unique title for identification; “Untitled” is not acceptable as an entry title and will be disqualified.
Participants should log in and view artwork entries to ensure photos have uploaded properly; it is the participants’ responsibility to ensure the photo is properly loaded.
- All entries that involve human subjects who appear, or their personal property appears, in photographs taken in any area not open to the public should include a model/property release.
- A model release is normally not required for recognizable subjects in photographs taken in public places (must be noted on entry form).
- Any person or guardian signing the Model Release Form consents to IMCOM G9, the Department of the Army, and/or the Department of Defense utilizing the photo for exhibitions, publicity, display, or other uses as appropriate.
- Entries without a model release may be rejected if any identifiable subject is depicted in an offensive or objectionable manner.
- The Model Release Form must be completed and signed by the subject or property owner, scanned and emailed to: [email protected]
- A photograph may fit into more than one category. For example, a landscape with strong lines leading up to a person that you photographed in Korea could be categorized in Nature & Landscapes, People, or Design Elements. But you can only enter a particular photo into one category. Carefully analyze your photo, compare to previous winners, and then choose the most fitting category. As long as the subject matter fits, the following kinds of photos can be categorized in any of the above categories - we do not separate the contest entries based on the following criteria:
o Black and white images
o Photos by professionals or amateurs
- With today’s advanced digital cameras, HDR is a built in option. HDR can enhance an image in any category. HDR, if done to reduce the brightness range, allows a photo to look more like our eyes see it. Our eyes do HDR automatically—the brights are toned down and the shadows are lightened to see more detail. If the HDR process is used to add unnatural color shifts, it may be entered in the Digital Darkroom Category as one of the transformations in your creation. But Digital Darkroom is more than just HDR, it alters reality in one or more ways that should be obvious.
DETERMINATION OF WINNERS:
- After the close of the participants submission period (11:59 pm CST January 20, 2019), Garrison/IMCOM Directorate POCs will judge and advance entries from their garrison to the higher level competition using the web-based program at https://cloud.mwr.army.mil/apptrac.
- At the higher level, three qualified experts will be selected to judge all entries advanced by the Garrison/IMCOM Directorate POC. Judges will be professionally involved in the digital automation field. The judges’ decisions on all entries are final.
- Higher level awards will be conferred as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Honorable Mention for each category and group of the contest (as listed on page 1 of this Guideline). Judges are not required to award all prizes in all categories of competition. Higher level monetary awards will be given to:
- 1st Place - $300
- 2nd Place - $200
- 3rd Place - $100
All prizes will be awarded to the name listed on the entry form.
- All taxes and any other costs not specifically stated within these Official Rules are the sole responsibility of a winner. A prize may not be transferred, substituted or redeemed for cash, except at IMCOM, Family and MWR’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if advertised prize is unavailable at the time the prize is awarded. Sponsor reserves the right to modify or cancel this contest at any time. All prizes will be awarded, providing there are a sufficient number of eligible entries received. All claimed prizes will be awarded.
DISPOSITION OF ENTRIES:
- Winning entries will be archived by IMCOM G-9, Community Recreation and may be used for exhibitions, publicity and display.
- All entries may be used for exhibitions or news release purposes and may be comprehensively used and/or reproduced without limitation by or on behalf of the Department of Defense.
- Participation in the contest constitutes permission to allow IMCOM G-9 to use the winning entries.
- Entries that do not conform to the above guidance will be disqualified.
PRIVACY STATEMENT: AUTHORITY: Section 552a, Title 5, United States Code; Section 3013, Title 10, United States Code; Executive Order NO. 9397; Army Regulation 215-1. PRINCIPAL PURPOSES: The primary use of the information provided by contest participants is to select and contact potential winners, and to determine whether potential winners are authorized participants. Additionally, the information will be used to issue any 1099 required for reporting of prizes to the IRS. All federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. DISCLOSURE IS VOLUNTARY: There is no obligation to provide any information; however, failure to provide the requested information may result in the contest participant being deemed ineligible to win or to be awarded a prize.
In the event IMCOM Family and MWR is prevented from continuing with the contest, or the integrity of the contest is severely undermined by any event beyond the Army’s control, including but not limited to fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or public enemy, satellite or equipment failure, riot or civil disturbance, war (declared or undeclared), terrorist threat or activity, or any federal, state or local government law, order or regulation, order of any court or jurisdiction, or other cause not reasonably within the Army’s control (each a “Force Majeure” event), the Army shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to abbreviate, modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the contest without further obligation. If the Army, in its sole discretion, elects to abbreviate the contest as a result of a Force Majeure event, IMCOM, Family and MWR reserves the right, but not the obligation, to award the prizes from among all valid and eligible participants received up to the time of such Force Majeure event.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: Participants agree to hold harmless IMCOM Family and MWR as part of the Army and DoD, for any liability of any kind resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in the contest or acceptance/misuse or nonuse of the prizes awarded. Winners assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this contest or use or redemption of any prize. IMCOM Family and MWR, the Department of Defense and the Army are not responsible for any defective prizes. By accepting a prize, the winner grants the contest entities the right to use winner’s name for purposes of advertising in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised, without notice, review or approval, without compensation, unless prohibited by law. IMCOM, Family and MWR is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest or in the announcement of prizes.
IMCOM, Family and MWR will not be held responsible for entries which may be lost in transit, undelivered, delayed or illegible entries. IMCOM, Family and MWR reserves the right at their sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process and/or void any entries submitted fraudulently; to modify or suspend the sweepstakes; or to terminate the sweepstakes and conduct a random drawing using all eligible non-suspect entries received as of the termination date. Sponsor reserves the right to modify prize award procedures. IMCOM, Family and MWR is not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, telephone failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, inability to access a website, inability to submit an entry, or fraud, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions or inaccurate transcription of entry information, whether caused by Sponsor, users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions which may damage a user’s system or limit an Eligible Participant’s ability to participate in the Sweepstakes.
WINNERS LIST: Winners’ names will be posted on the armymwr.com website on or about March 11, 2019. Prizes do not imply endorsement by the Army or any other party.
SPONSOR & ADMINISTRATOR: The Sponsor of this contest is US Army IMCOM, Family and MWR Community Recreation, 2455 Reynolds Road, Joint Base Fort Sam Houston, Texas 78234-7588.